Wednesday, December 10, 2008

On Reading and Literacy

Well, turns out I'm a retard. Not just the simple stupid monkey that most of you have come to know me for, today I out did myself and crossed over in to becoming a full blown r-tard. Let me explain why.

I've been trying to get my stuff packed up for the past few days. In order to accomplish this task, I went to the Cathay Pacific website to find out how much luggage I could check for my flight to Hong Kong. I was surprised to find out that it was a single piece weighing no more than 22kg (44lbs). Kinda surprised me that it was so little, but ok...I'll deal with it. Well, it took a lot of work, but I was able to thin out what I was taking with me and along with V's stuff that she asked me to bring, manage to pack all of it into one suitcase weighing in at 22kg.

Not bad. But, it meant that I seriously was limited in the amount of stuff that I was taking with me. Turns out, like with most things according to V, I was wrong. Well, not so much that I was wrong, so much as she is always right. Me being wrong is like the icing on the cake. So, I've spent the bulk of the afternoon repacking my stuff and gathering a few extra things that I originally believed I could not take. It seems that in my infinite wisdom, I read the wrong baggage information. Turns out I can take 2 pieces at a maximum of 23kg (50lbs), more than twice what I thought.

So mistakes were made, but it has become apparent that my past is forever reminding my of my colossal lapses in brain function. As you know, I went to HK last year around this same time. V told me that I should come prepared for cold cause, well, it gets cold in HK. Me in my infinite wisdom decided to kindly ignore that advice. In fact, I think my exact words were "pffft...it's not going to be cold in HK."

But, you see, karma always has a way of catching up with you. For you see, the 'pffft' comment was merely the tip of the iceberg. Apparently there was overwhelming evidence of my douchebaggery and karma came along as showed me just how cold it can be in HK. It wasn't just cold though...it was like dry Eastern Canada cold. So, I didn't just get cold, I got karmically beat down with cold. So much so that I needed to go buy pants.

So my vacation faux pas from last year although not similar to this year's, was a giant reminder for V and she reminded me this morning that she is always right and that in variably I am always wrong and I should just accept what she has to say and then I wouldn't have these problems. But, you know how if you make a humourous mistake and then a friend or loved one at every chance reminds you of it and throws it in your face? The "it's not cold in HK" is one of those. It's like a verbal punch to the face that while it stings, is still extremely funny as all punches to the face are.

I think it is part of the male condition, or perhaps a brain disease that only I have, that inspite of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, I continue to struggle through life under the vein misconception that perhaps one day...one day I too will finally be right about something. Alas, today was not one of those days.

Anyway, bags are all packed and I'm just counting down the time I have left here in Vancouver. As every time I go to HK, I'm becoming increasingly excited as the hours tick down. Oh and yes, I've packed to appropriate clothing to stave off the cold. Not gonna make that mistake twice. :P

No comments: