Thursday, December 18, 2008

Down Time

I'm seemingly forever behind in my blogging. lol

Well, following my walkabout and still trying to regain my strength from the virus, I took the next day off...that would have been Wednesday. I stayed pretty much close to home, venturing only to get food and take out the trash. I spent my day researching my next set of adventures around HK. I'm a history buff of course, so I've been looking at visiting old World War II sites. I'm not going to go into too many details, but to give you a little background, in 1941 Hong Kong was invaded by the Japanese. The British along with help from it's Commonwealth countries, made a valiant, yet ultimate futile defense of Hong Kong. On Dec 25, 1941, Hong Kong fell to the Japanese. Almost 2000 Canadians lost their lives defending Hong Kong. The only Victoria Cross action to take place during the battle was awarded to a Canadian, Company Sergeant-Major John Robert Osborn. His story is epic, the true definition of a hero, I think.

Anyway, it's back to guide books and maps as I venture into parts unknown. Well, at lest parts unknown to me. Not sure where my first stop is yet, but I'm sure I'll write about it. Anyway, that's all I did Wednesday really. V's mom flew in to HK on Wednesday and there was a big family dinner at V's aunt's house (this is an aunt on her mom's side). V's whole family is in town for a couple of weddings. First one is on Thursday. Should be quite interesting, I've never been to a Chinese wedding before.

No comments: