Friday, April 23, 2010

Back in the HKSAR (Hong Kong Special Administrative Region)

I'm not entirely sure how I'm suppose to feel after almost 20 hours of travel.

Hungry?

Yes.

Sleepy?

A little.

Overall though, I'm feeling pretty good.

This time instead of flying direct, I had a stop over in Taipei.

The Taipei International Airport is a nice airport. Unfortunately, there's not much to do at 6 a.m. aside from shopping. None of the good food places were open yet. Oh well, maybe I'll get my Taiwan food fix on my way back.

I got to sit in the upper deck of the plane, which isn't really that much different than the regular passenger deck, there's just less people up there. In fact, I spent the major leg of my travel with no seatmates. I had the entire bank of seats to myself.

While the peace and quiet was nice, the bench isn't exactly the most comfortable place to stretch out for a snooze. Still, getting a whole bunch of sleep does make the trip go faster.

The other nice thing about long flights is that I get to catch up on all of the movies that I've missed in the past eight or nine months. Avatar was okay. It seemed to be longer than it needed to be, but all-in-all I enjoyed it. Sherlock Holmes was a fantastic movie. Probably one of the better movies I've seen in a while.

So, that was the majority of my travel today, some sleeping and some movie watching.
Oh and then there was a lot of standing in customs, security and immigration lines.

The only other thing that was sort of neat was that one of the flight attendants on my flight from Vancouver to Taipei was in all of the airline's video ads. It was like having a celebrity serving me food.

Anyways, I'm here in Hong Kong now. It's about 24 degrees Celsius and a little humid. Don't really plan on doing too much else today. Might go for a walk or something, but nothing too intense.

Hopefully, after hockey tomorrow morning I'll have enough energy to get out and do something interesting. But, more likely I'll be super jet lagged and grumpy.

No comments: